If you’re one of the many people who experience daily jaw pain, tenderness, and swelling, then it could be a sign of TMJ problems. Dr. Williams offers patients several types of TMJ treatment in North Richland Hills to help eliminate their discomfort so they can feel better soon. TMJ solutions from R. Renan Williams DDS will:Doctor R.R. Williams on TMJ and Teeth Grinding Read Transcript
When people come in and they say they have a jaw that hurts, that their jaw is hurting, or their jaw is popping, we have to decide, where is that jaw pain coming from? It can be what we call interarticular pain, a pain from the jaw joint itself, or it could be a myofascial pain, something that’s coming from the muscles. So, we have to determine what the origin of the pain is.
But quite often, we can start with just a simple mouth appliance that helps their jaw muscles relax, and brings them into a relaxed state of their muscles, which often can remove the pain. And sometimes there’s a series of appliances that are necessary to help someone get to a point of comfort in their jaw joint.
Temporomandibular joint can be a pretty challenging thing to deal with, but it can be very rewarding when you’re able to take someone who has a painful jaw to where it’s comfortable. When it comes to treating the temporomandibular joint, it can be pretty challenging. The thing we want them to know is, we want them to feel comfortable and functional most of the time.
One of the things that’s very common, especially today in our tense society, is people grind their teeth, and they might not even know it. Often, they do it in their sleep. It’s night grinding, or bruxism. And so, we have guards that are comfortable, that we custom-make for an individual, that they can wear at night, or any time they need to, to protect them from themselves, as we tend to start to eat our teeth, to start grinding, grinding, grinding.
- Help relieve nagging jaw pain and popping
- Make chewing easier so eating will be enjoyable
- Reduce migraine and tension headaches
- Protect your teeth against damage from teeth grinding
You don’t need to suffer any longer! Call us today for TMJ help: 817-435-1337. Our office is at 5104 Eldorado Drive, just down the road from Tarrant County College – Northeast Campus.
Find Out About Your TMJ Options
The temporomandibular joints (TMJ) on either side of your head function as hinges for your upper and lower jaws. When these joints become irritated, the pain can be significant. At your consultation, Dr. Williams will give you a thorough exam to determine the best TMJ treatment for you. We offer suffering patients several ways to get relief, including:
- Custom Mouthguards and Splints – We use a “stair-step” approach of three different oral appliances depending on your needs and situation. These appliances will gently adjust the position of your jaw to reduce pressure on your TMJ. Dr. Williams will work closely with you to determine which one is right for you.
- Stretching Exercises – Our team can teach you several jaw stretching exercises and relaxation techniques you can do at home to help eliminate your pain.
- Muscle Relaxers – If needed, Dr. Williams can prescribe a safe medication to help your jaw joint relax so you feel better. Muscle relaxers often work well with other types of treatment to minimize your most nagging pain.
- Bruxism Treatment – Bruxism (teeth grinding) is both a cause and symptom of TMJ pain. Our custom oral appliances will keep you from grinding and clenching your teeth to help reduce your discomfort.
- Migraine and Headache Treatment – Research has shown that teeth grinding and clenching are causes of migraine and tension headaches. We can reduce the number and severity of your headaches through treatment to stop your teeth grinding.
Call us at 817-435-1337 today for fast, effective TMJ treatment in North Richland Hills or to discuss treatment at your next dental exam. If you’re a new patient, you’ll pay just $69 for an exam and consultation! You can also use our online form.